I wish I had come up with this set of Guiding Principles of Knowledge from Knowledgeline:
When brainstorming with my colleagues came up with a list of things that we felt were the guiding principles of knowledge. When coming up with knowledge initiatives we tried to stick to these guiding principles in our designs.
- Knowledge is information in context.
- Information should be easily shared with and collaborated on by clients
- Knowledge is: what, how and educational
- We should learn from our mistakes
- We should formalize and disseminate the things that work
- Ease of access and use is part of the value of knowledge
- Practice group and local/regional boundaries should be removed
- Knowledge is to share, not to horde for personal use
- Capture knowledge when it is fresh -- know when it is stale
- Principles should not compromise activity/results
- Focus should be on supporting the core Business strategies