Realization's March 2004 issue discusses the results of their survey of whether people are using the 50/90 task duration estimation scheme. CC@Work
- 90% of Realization's customers are not using 50/90.
- In multi-project operations, 50/90 is not only useless but also harmful.
- Buy-in of the teams needs to be achieved differently.
- Meanwhile Realization will continue to support 50/90 because we don't want to be shut out of sales.
- Realization will provide features to make the single estimate approach even easier.
I guess I am one of the few who are interested in working with the culture a different way -- one that removes the idea that task durations are single-value or anything like accurate. I still think that cutting times across the board, as suggested by Goldratt, is just not the way to convince people to believe in Critical Chain Project Management. I will be happy to be proved wrong.