Chuck Martin has a set of 7 Tips for Getting of Control of E-mail at this week's Darwin Online
- If any subject or issue involves more than two e-mails, one party should call the other to resolve the issue by phone.
- No junk e-mail, no jokes.
- Only send relevant information, which is defined as just what the person needs to know.
- Limit CCs (which might be more appropriately named CYA).
- Don’t ping-pong with e-mail for a conversation; use the phone.
- Deal with it and delete it.
- Don’t read every e-mail as it comes in; handle them in batches.
Sounds like a good set of suggestions, many of which I've advocated before.