My name is Jack. My legal name is Jonathan. That gives you some clues right off the bat.
Good things about the name Jack:
- It's a real name, and everyone can speak and spell it.
- Not common 40 years ago, so, I was usually the only Jack in rooms full of Bill's, John's, Lisa's and Jennifer's.
- If you call me Jonathan, I know you don't know me.
- It's a fun story to tell about why I am Jack and not John.
Bad things about the name Jack:
- There are far too many nursery rhymes with Jack as the subject.
- If you make airline reservations for me as Jack Vinson, I get kicked to the HIGH THREAT line by airport security.
- It's easily confused with "Jeff" when spoken aloud (at least by me). And sometimes "Jock."
Taken from my friend, Tom, who is pretty good at wasting my time.